Two teens who beat and killed 13-year-old sent home to their parents

Two teenagers who admitted beating and killing a 13-year-old boy have avoided jail as they were sentenced to probation.

The two students killed Diego Stolz in the US state of California but have been released into the custody of their parents.

Mobile phone footage showed the victim being repeatedly punched before falling and hitting his head on a pillar in the yard of Landmark Middle School in the Moreno Valley, about 60 miles east of Los Angeles.

The teens admitted to the involuntary manslaughter of Diego over the 2019 attack.

The boys, both 14, cannot be identified due to their age and were also sentenced to 150 hours of community service, therapy and a character-building program.

Riverside County Superior Court Judge Robert Luebs said the boys were "directly responsible" for Diego's death, even though they did not intend to kill him.

He said: "These kids have not had enough experience delivering empathy. You guys are not the centre of the world and you guys need to start figuring that out."

Mr Luebs also asserted that the boys lacked remorse, a claim rejected by both of boys' attorneys.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Diego's tragic death led to reforms in how schools in the district handled bullying incidents, while the principal was removed soon after the attack.

The judge said the law requires juveniles to receive the least restrictive sentence for both rehabilitation and public safety.

The county's district attorney and Probation Department were both seeking stronger sentences, including time in jail.

The teenagers were ordered to return to court for a progress report in June, with Mr Luebs saying they would be remanded in custody if they did not comply with his orders.

Source: Read Full Article