Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!
Buckingham Palace's statement on the Queen's health has been criticised by a range of royal commentators who dubbed it "misleading" and a "stupid thing to do".
Her Majesty fell ill at Windsor on Tuesday and "reluctantly" accepted doctors advice to cancel a trip to Northern Ireland, the Palace announced earlier this week.
She stayed overnight in hospital on Wednesday but has since returned home to Windsor for rest.
On Thursday evening the Palace released a statement saying: "Following medical advice to rest for a few days, the Queen attended hospital on Wednesday afternoon for some preliminary investigations, returning to Windsor Castle at lunchtime today, and remains in good spirits."
Various royal experts and reporters have expressed anger at the Palace for not initially disclosing the hospitalisation, claiming the public was led to the believe Her Majesty was "resting" at home.
Kate Middleton ‘last hope’ for Royal Family ‘overshadowed’ by Meghan and Harry
Veteran royal journalist Robert Jobson wrote on Twitter: "HMQ is head of state. Of this state, not North Korea.
"Medical privacy is one thing, deliberately saying the head of state was resting at Windsor Castle when she was in-fact in Hospital in London means the palace is happy to lie when it suits them.
"Stupid thing to do."
The Queen was taken to King Edward VII's Hospital, a private health centre that is frequently used by senior royals.
Reports state that the overnight stay was not connected to Covid-19 and was due to "practical reasons".
The BBC's royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said: "As we were being told by Buckingham Palace, and of course we were relaying that to our viewers and listeners and newspapers to their readers, in point of fact, she was undergoing what are now being described as preliminary investigations.
Queen health update as she faces battle 'between head and body'
"We weren't given the complete picture then, and one can understand the Palace's perspective on this, they would say that the Queen is entitled to patient confidentiality, to medical privacy, notwithstanding that she is the head of state and that millions of people in this country and around the world will be concerned.
"The problem it seems to me is that rumour and misinformation always thrives in the absence of proper, accurate and trustworthy information."
Witchell claimed it is still not clear if there would be any "further subsequent investigations" into her health.
"We were told that there were preliminary investigations taking place, that would suggest that after preliminary investigations, there may be some further subsequent investigations," he said.
Royal biographer Omid Scobie wrote on Twitter: "The lesson here (for some) is that the Palace has rarely been the source of reliable or accurate guidance when it comes to private matters.
"Half truths, misleading statements and distractions are what certain aides are paid to do. Never take the word of a publicist at face value."
The Palace has been approached for a response.
Over the past few weeks, the Queen has maintained a busy schedule of engagements.
She has travelled to both Cardiff and Edinburgh, as well as holding a reception for major business leaders at Windsor.
Source: Read Full Article