Inspectors have slammed a rogue landlord after they found he created two makeshift flats at the back of a shop storeroom.
The Premier supermarket in Avonmouth, Bristol, was condemned by environmental health and housing officials who found one adult and two children were sleeping in a cupboard.
Bristol City Council's Rogue Landlord team said the conditions inside the storeroom home were the "worst" they had ever seen as nine people in total were found to live in the cramped space surrounded by bare walls and stock.
Deepak Singh Sachdeva, of Moresby Avenue in Surbiton, Surrey was convicted in Bristol Magistrates Court this week, BristolLive reports.
Singh Sachdeva was convicted in his absence and fined a total of £87,000, £17,400 for each one of five breaches of regulations covering Houses in Multiple Occupancy (HMOs), including fire regulations and signs.
Shocking images from inside show bare walls, exposed wiring, rotting wooden staircases and a non-existent ceiling.
Queen told Princess Diana that Prince Charles was 'hopeless' in unearthed tapes
Coronavirus will peak during Easter with 'millions to be infected' in Britain alone
Bristol City Council's cabinet member for housing, Cllr Paul Smith: “These were some of the worst conditions environmental health officers working in this field have seen.
“The property had been so badly built and managed that the tenants were constantly in serious danger.
Porn star urges fans to wash hands in peculiar coronavirus advice video
Meghan Markle wears necklace with subtle message during last royal engagements
“The risk was so severe that the council had little option but to formally order people not to live in the accommodation.
“This case is a prime example of a rogue landlord who has put the safety and welfare of tenants at risk and has been rightly convicted and fined for this.
“We are committed to investigating substandard accommodation and bringing landlords or agents that profit illegally from it to justice,” he added.
Drug charity tells cocaine users to use colour-coded straws to avoid coronavirus
Fleeing deer has last laugh as hunter's face ripped off by animal trying to escape
No one from Bristol City Council was able to confirm what happened to the people living in the property after the council visited on July 18 last year.
Today's Top Stories
But BristolLive understands that the people living there, including one woman who was pregnant at the time, called in the council to check out their substandard conditions, and were quickly moved out, with the council's housing team helping them to find private rented accommodation nearby.
Source: Read Full Article