- Heavy fighting that erupted on Sunday between Azerbaijani and Armenian military forces over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region continued overnight and into Monday morning.
- Military personnel and civilian deaths have been reported from both sides, in the worst escalation in violence since 2016.
- Most of the international community, including the United States, Russia, Iran and European powers, have been calling for an end to hostilities and the start of talks.
Here are the latest updates on Monday, September 28:
18:45 GMT – Azerbaijan denies Turkey sent it fighters from Syria amid Karabakh fighting
An aide to Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev denied that Turkey had sent fighters from Syria to Azerbaijan amid fighting over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Armenia’s ambassador to Russia said earlier that Turkey had sent around 4,000 fighters from northern Syria to Azerbaijan and that they were taking part in the fighting, the Interfax and RIA news agencies reported.
“Rumours of militants from Syria allegedly being redeployed to Azerbaijan is another provocation by the Armenian side and complete nonsense,” said the aide, Khikmet Gadzhiev.
18:25 GMT – Armenian envoy: Turkey sent 4,000 Syrian fighters to Azerbaijan amid fighting
Armenia’s ambassador to Russia said that Turkey had sent around 4,000 fighters from northern Syria to Azerbaijan amid fighting over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh, the Interfax news agency reported.
The ambassador said the fighters were taking part in fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh, a region inside Azerbaijan that is run by ethnic Armenians, the RIA news agency reported.
Turkey is a close ally of Azerbaijan.
07:55 GMT -Azerbaijan says six civilians killed
Azerbaijan’s foreign ministry said a total of six Azerbaijani civilians have been killed and 19 wounded since the fighting began.
06:50 GMT – Trump: US will seek to stop violence between Armenia, Azerbaijan
US President Donald Trump said Washington will seek to stop the fighting in the region.
“We’re looking at it very strongly,” Trump said in a press briefing. “We have a lot of good relationships in that area. We’ll see if we can stop it.”
06:30 GMT – Nagorno-Karabakh: 15 more troops killed in fighting with Azerbaijani forces
Officials in Nagorno-Karabakh said 15 more military personnel had been killed in the ongoing fighting, bringing the total to more than 30.
It came after Arayik Harutyunyan, leader of the breakaway region, said on Sunday that his forces had lost some positions to Azerbaijan’s army amid renewed clashes.
Read more here.
Hello and welcome to Al Jazeera’s September 28 live coverage of the military escalation between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region. I’m Umut Uras in Doha.
You can read the updates from September 27 here.
Source: Read Full Article