Moment man who ‘hadn’t slept for 3 days’ smashes up doctor’s surgery with knife

A knifeman who unleashed "mayhem" after bursting into a doctor's surgery was Tasered by police, as shown in a dramatic video.

Michael Brannigan, who is said to have not slept in three days at the time of the attack in Woodley, Stockport, had robbed a pharmacy for sleeping pills and antidepressants and beaten a stranger minutes earlier.

During the rampage, caught on CCTV on March 12, terrified receptionists locked themselves in consultation rooms while a doctor held a door shut and tried to reason with Brannigan.

Police fired a Taser at Brannigan for 19 seconds until he was subdued, Manchester Evening News reports.

Brannigan, 50, who suffers from mental health problems and was described as being in a "dream-like state", later said he had planned to kill himself in front of his GP.

His barrister claimed he'd been "severely let down" by mental health services.

Now he has been jailed for three years and five months, following his 20-minute rampage.

Judge John Potter said: "You caused terror and harm to members of the public in different public places, two of which were places where vulnerable individuals would go to receive medication and support."

The court heard Brannigan had been to his doctors at Woodley Health Centre demanding copies of his medical records and being "aggressive" to staff, saying he would return later.

  • Tributes paid to 'sweet angel' girl, 2, killed in devastating caravan blaze

Later, at about 12.20pm, Brannigan was seen on nearby Oldham Drive by an elderly man who was driving, on his way to do some shopping.

Brannigan pulled his car in front of the man's vehicle, and started shouting at him.

After winding his window down to speak to Brannigan, the defendant hit him two or three times to the face with his walking stick.

He was not badly hurt but left shaken after seeing Brannigan pick up a knife and start banging on his window with it.

Minutes later, Brannigan went into a pharmacy in Woodley Precinct and spoke with a female dispenser, telling her: "Can I have a word? You’re not going to like what I am going to say."

  • Girl, 6, left traumatised after stranger 'grabbed and forced her into bushes'

Brannigan said he wanted zopiclone, amitriptyline, and diazepam, and warned her he had a knife.

He then returned to Woodley Health Centre and demanded to see the "main man" and began smashing a window with an office chair.

A doctor held a door shut so receptionists could flee into consultation rooms.

Brannigan told the doctor "the others could leave" because it was the doctor "who was the hostage", prosecutor Verity Quaite said.

Armed with a meat cleaver, he told the doctor: "If I see you again, I'm coming for you."

Police arrived at about 12.45pm and PC Simon Toft drew his Taser and fired at him for 19 seconds.

Brannigan was found to have two knives in his back pocket and a meat cleaver and another knife in a bag.

Defending, Kay Driver said: "Mr Brannigan cannot remember some of this incident, such was his mental health at the time, but he accepts everything that the witnesses have to say.

"His intention he says on the day of this incident was to commit suicide in front of his GP.

"He did not intend to cause any physical harm to anyone. He is utterly remorseful to those he has affected.

"He accepts his behaviour really scared those people who came into contact with him."

She said Brannigan hadn't slept for three days and had been trying to get help from mental health services the night before the incident, but the person he spoke to was too inexperienced to help.

He was described by his family as "very gentle" and "helpful", and they said he was "severely let down" by mental health services leading up to the crime.

Brannigan, of Parry Mead, Stockport, pleaded guilty to robbery, two counts of affray, common assault, two counts of having an offensive weapon, and four counts of having an article with a blade or point.

Source: Read Full Article