Meghan Markle calls for social media overhaul to combat vicious online trolling

Meghan Markle has called for a social media overhaul to curb hateful online comments, and wants Instagram to introduce a 'dislike button'.

Last year, the Duchess of Sussex claimed to be the "most trolled person" on the planet, a claim that was backed up recently by a report into abusive tweets about her and Prince Harry.

Now, speaking on Tuesday at the The New York Times DealBook online summit, Meghan described trolling as an "unfortunate cycle" caused by how social media platforms work.

She told host Andrew Ross Sorkin: "One of the things that seems like such an easy solve from my lens, if you look at Instagram for example, there's a 'like' button and then there's comments.

"So if you disagree with something you have to comment on it in a really vitriolic way.

"If there was a 'dislike' button, wouldn't that hugely shift what you were putting out there? Because you could just 'like' it or just 'dislike' it."

She added that the current system, which she thinks encourages negative comments, "is just adding to this really unfortunate cycle that I think is having an unfortunate effect on women across the world".

The event came as part of the Sussexes' latest visit to New York where both have been making a number of media appearances.

Tonight they were pictured glammed up on the red carpet as they attended the Salute to Freedom Gala in Manhattan.

Harry also lashed out against online trolls at an event on Tuesday.

Speaking on the Internet Lie Machine panel at Wired magazine's RE:WIRED virtual summit, he described the term "Megxit" as "misogynistic".

He said: "The term Megxit was or is a misogynistic term that was created by a troll, amplified by world correspondents.

"It grew and grew and grew onto mainstream media, but it began with a troll."

Harry also cited a recently published report by Bot Sentinel, a Twitter analytics provider, that suggested the couple had been targeted by a coordinated Twitter hate campaign.

The report said just 83 Twitter accounts were responsible for 70% of the fiercely anti-Sussex tweets.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article