Man shot dead in SWAT stand-off as he walks from burning home brandishing guns

A man has been shot dead by SWAT teams when cops thought he had died in a fire – only to walk out with guns in hand, according to Fox News.

Police were called in, with SWAT members dispatched to the incident, during a tense stand-off in Austin Texas.

However, police say he barricaded himself inside a house and later a fire started, with most of the building destroyed.

It was initially thought the man had died in the fire but he later walked out of the garage brandishing guns, according to local reports.

Firefighters were on the scene dealing with the blaze when he appeared and SWAT teams swooped in and fatally shot the man who died from a gunshot wound.

The incident began with a code enforcement call over an overgrown lawn.

Austin Police Officer Jose Mendez says around 9.16am local time, code enforcement went out to eh residence at Pinkney Lane to serve an administrative warrant for lawn maintenance.

But APD says officers were then shot at from inside and immediately took action.

SWAT team was called out but the man opted to barricade himself inside and refuse to speak to cops, and hostage negotiators were unsuccessful.

Police say there has been past involvement with the resident, described as a man aged in his 50s.

It's said he fired a weapon after the call over him cutting his lawn.

People nearby were told to avoid the area, and a large police cordon was put in place with cop cars blocking road access.

At 4pm, seven hours after the initial call-out, Austin Fire Department was sent to the house as it was fully engulfed in flames.

Ambulance crews transported one person to hospital fighting for their life, with APD later confirming it turned into an officer-involved shooting incident.

Code inspectors work with homeowners and will send a Notice of Violation if issues are raised to bring properties into compliance, for example, overgrown grass.

Reporter Amanda Ruiz, for Fox7, tweeted: "Austin Fire was brought in thinking the man had died in the fire, but the man came out of the garage with weapons in hand. A SWAT officer shot the man who went down with a gunshot wound."

For the latest breaking news stories and incredible tales from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article