Man arrested for ‘jumping security barrier’ as Queen’s coffin heads to Windsor

As the emotional state funeral service for her late majesty Queen Elizabeth II unfolded at Westminster, a man was arrested for allegedly trying to vault a barrier into the path of the cortège carrying the late Monarch's coffin.

The shocking incident took place at Parliament Street near the Cenotaph as the coffin carrying the late monarch was emerging from Westminster Abbey.

The man was quickly collared by police and placed under arrest before the royal procession had got fully under way, the Sun reports.

READ MORE: Queen's funeral order of service in full – State funeral details revealed

The Daily Star has contacted the Metropolitan Police for more detail on the arrest.

Meanwhile, a huge crowd of well-wishers cheered as the hearse carried the Queen away from Wellington Arch.

Cries of "hip hip hooray" and "God Save the Queen" rang out as the vehicle drove past lines of mourners.

Many members of the public had been camped out for days to get a glimpse of the Queen's coffin on its final journey.

Princess Anne is reportedly travelling in the hearse carrying her late mother’s body with her siblings and their families following on behind.

The King, the Queen Consort and members of the Royal Family will reconvene at Windsor, where a ceremony is expected to begin at around 4pm.

  • Policeman carried away on a stretcher after collapsing during Queen's funeral

Earlier, the service at Westminster Abbey saw the new King lead 2,000 mourners commemorating his late mother, the Queen's life.

Her four children and grandchildren Princes William, Harry and Peter Philips walked behind the coffin as it left the Palace of Westminster for the Abbey.

Her great-grandchildren Prince George, 9 and Princess Charlotte, 7, also followed behind the Queen's coffin and then joined in the service alongside their parents.

The Queen had been lying in state for more than four days as thousands of the public filed past, 24 hours a day, to pay their final respects to the monarch.

Some mourners complained that they had been kept cooped up for too long after the hearse and departed.

Groups of mourners were begging security to "let us out" after standing for nearly six hours.

Thousands of people took to London's streets to get the best view of the Queen's coffin.

But after she was whisked away at the end of the service, police and other security personnel refused to allow the crowds to leave.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.


  • Charles and Camilla's 'secret son' angry at dead 'gran' Queen for ignoring his pleas
  • Why Prince Philip's body will be moved to final resting place after Queen's funeral
  • How to watch Queen's funeral on TV and online – time, channel and schedule
  • Queen's funeral procession full route: Timings and viewing areas to see ceremonial event
  • Unseen portrait of beaming Queen Elizabeth II released on eve of her funeral
  • Queen
  • Royal Family
  • Westminster
  • London
  • The Queen’s funeral

Source: Read Full Article