Huge Great Dane close to death saved as pet owner’s pals foot bill for vet

A huge dog that was close to death has been saved after its owner's friends raised money to pay for the vet bill.

Winnie the 18-month-old Great Dane was on the verge of being put down when vets said they "did not think she was going to make it" after she contracted a serious infection.

Concerned owner Jenny Crone realised something wasn't right with the "playful" pooch last month when Winnie started being sick and she spotted drops of blood on the floor.

The beloved pet was rushed to the vet, where she was given antibiotics because she was initially diagnosed with a cold.

But Winnie's condition continued to deteriorate.

"The vets took her in again to take some X-rays and they thought something might have been stuck in her lungs, but they did not have the equipment to operate," Jenny told SurreyLive.

Jenny, 28, from Surrey, was told Winnie needed to be put on a ventilator at The Ralph Veterinary Referral Centre in Buckinghamshire, for three to four days. This treatment would cost her around £6,000 to £8,000.

"She could not breathe without her oxygen supply and she had tubes coming out of her. She could not move or get up, and she was very weak.

  • 'Desperate' husky eats other dog after owner goes on holiday without leaving them food

"I called The Ralph and they said because of Covid-19 they do not usually let owners in to see their pets, but later on, I got a phone call and they asked me to come in as soon as possible.

"The insurance money was not lasting. I had just moved into my own place and so my savings were scarce, but they said if she continues at this rate, they will have to put her on a ventilator.

"I was in tears thinking, 'I'm going to lose my dog'. I thought 'I can't afford this'."

  • Meet the couple who share their home with 16 dogs and 'can't say no to pups in need'

Jenny, an insurance broker, said she "sobbed the whole way home" after saying goodbye to Winnie. She said she thought that was the last time she was going to see her.

One of her friends suggested she set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for treatment.

Jenny was hesitant but thought she had nothing to lose at this stage.

She thought she would only get a few hundred pounds, but donations kept pouring in. The amount raised now stands at more than £4,500.

Within days, vets had been able to stabilise Winnie and on the following day, she was strong enough to be given food through feeding tubes.

"They started trying to wean her off the oxygen and she was off it and she could breathe by herself," Jenny said.

"I brought her home and no one would believe she was on her deathbed."

Since coming home, Winnie has been getting better every single day and her strength is gradually building. Jenny said she is becoming her "bouncy self again".

Source: Read Full Article