A KFC customer was left speechless after spotting a dead rat's tail dangling from an air vent inside one of the chain's restaurants.
The tourist was in Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival and decided to have a quick bite at the South St Andrew Street city centre restaurant around 3pm on Sunday, August 14 – four days before the Edinburgh bin strikes.
On visiting the branch, however, they were met with something far from expected.
READ MORE: Queen Elizabeth II dies aged 96 leaving nation in mourning for longest reigning monarch
The customer, who wants to remain anonymous, was shocked to see the rat's tail hanging above them and other diners – adding they were surprised staff didn't take any action to ensure health and safety inside the restaurant.
They told Edinburgh Live: "On the day, they didn’t remove anyone eating downstairs, breathing in the fumes or the dead rat in the air vent, they just stopped people going downstairs to see it."
The disgruntled customer decided to contact KFC's online care team on August 16 after the incident, but they were not happy with the fast food chain's response.
"After a long back and forth they responded on August 26 to say that the manager has said the lobby is closed – which I believe is just the downstairs bit – as it had been open everyday since," they said.
"I’m not sure if it’s open now as I’m not in Edinburgh at the moment."
When asked for comment in response to the claims, KFC said pest control was called to the site "immediately".
However, the chain admitted "this wasn't a great experience", while adding the customer had been refunded for their meal.
A KFC spokesperson said: "Operating responsibly is our number one priority and we have strict processes in place to ensure the quality and hygiene standards of all our restaurants.
"The team called in pest control immediately who visited the restaurant, dealt with the issue and checked all procedures.
"But ultimately, this wasn’t a great experience, and we never want to leave our guests disappointed, so we’ve already refunded their meal."
To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.
Meanwhile, a different KFC branch has been branded the 'Worst KFC in the UK' having received 183 one-star reviews on TripAdvisor – with some customers saying "you wouldn't even feed the food to dogs".
Of the 243 total reviews left, 183 are one-star “terrible”. A timid 19 gave it either four or five stars.
In May, Opal9991 alleges to have had a traumatic experience: “Went into KFC today, had two hot wings obviously ate one and looked at the other there was hair wrapped in the actual batter, they offered a replacement which I accepted, picked up the first replacement hot wing and to my shock there was more hair in the actual batter.
"You can clearly see on the photo this is a human hair.”
However, in April 2019, james2805473 left a five-star review. He said: “Workers were phenomenal! Jacob was incredible at his job that day and was such a big help. He was kind and helpful during our service. Also the chicken was peng.”
Speaking to the Daily Star at the time, a spokesperson for KFC said: “The Colonel is passionate about his food always being finger lickin’ good, so we’re sorry to see these reviews. We always encourage our fans to get in touch when things don’t go to plan – and we’ll work hard to make things right!”
- Last picture of the Queen before her death aged 96 shows her smiling at Balmoral
- Queen dies aged 96: How historic day unfolded as UK bid farewell to Her Majesty
- Queen's death to be marked with extra week of mourning after Her Majesty's funeral
- Queen's children to hold vigil at her coffin while monarch lies in rest
- Leave your tributes and light a virtual candle for Queen in our online book of condolence
Source: Read Full Article