Girl, 10, rushed to hospital after being ‘guillotined’ on health and safety sign

A 10-year-old girl was left with a horror wound after she "guillotined" her leg on a health and safety sign when she flew into it on a zip wire in a children's park.

Skylah Williams, from Perranporth, a seaside resort town on the north coast of Cornwall, was playing at a park in the village of Stithians when she careered into the sign that advises that children under 11 should not use the equipment without parental supervision.

Her father, Jamie Williams, saw the accident unfold and rushed Skylah to hospital on Sunday evening.

Speaking to Cornwall Live, Jamie bemoaned the sign's placement, and described the moment the youngster hurt herself.

He said: ““All the kids were playing nicely and my daughter went down the zip line.

"The sign is in the wrong place, Skylah hit it and went over. The sign guillotined her leg.

“It was a big wound for a little girl. She is all stitched up now but needed 12 stitches and is on antibiotics. It was a very deep cut.

For more stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

“She’s a resilient girl but this was a big deal for her. It shook her right up and she let out a big scream."

The father reported that the youngster is all smiles now after being stitched up, but still worries that the sign could cause damage to other children.

He added that after the accident he spoke to other parents in the park who said the sign has indeed caused similar injuries in the past.

"It’s not the first time it’s happened on the zip wire.

"They need to replace the sign or move it to a more appropriate place," he said of the metal sheet bolted around head height onto a wooden post that supports the structure around the zip wire.

Stithians Parish Council, the body responsible for the whole park, has been approached for comment.

Source: Read Full Article