‘Dracula’ killer who mutilated neighbour dies in jail after heart attack

After two decades behind bars, a man who mutilated and murdered his neighbour has died behind bars in a Scots jail.

Jeffry Cattell, 61, got a life sentence for murdering his neighbour, James Milne, in his flat in Inverness House, Shepway, Maidstone, Kent in 1997.

Cattell died at HMP Shotts Prison as a result of a heart attack, heart disease and respiratory failure according to a fatal accident inquiry (FAI) determination published on Friday.

At the time, The Kent Messenger reported that the victim originally from Aberdeen, had been stabbed in the neck with a two-pronged kitchen knife and other parts of his body dismembered. The victim was known as “Scottish Jim”, reports Daily Record.

During Cattell’s trial at the Old Bailey, one witness described him as a “latter day Dracula,” the newspaper reported.

Cattell always maintained his innocence and claimed he was the victim of a miscarriage of justice, with his lawyers at the time suggesting drug dealers may have been behind the killing.

Police officers working on the case said they were baffled as to the motive.

At the time, Detective Inspector Mick Judge described it as “the worst thing” he’d dealt with in 15 years.”

Other police officers investigating the case described the murder as “horrendous.”

A fatal accident inquiry determination into Cattell's death was issued this week by Sheriff Thomas Millar which said Cattell spent time in various prisons throughout his life term.

These included HMP Canterbury, HMP Belmarsh, HMP Swaleside, HMP Rye Hill, HMP Gartree and three prisons in Scotland – Saughton, Barlinnie and most recently Shotts.

Cross border prison transfers take place every year, often if someone has a connection through family to a particular place.

The FAI determination said Cattell had a ‘do not attempt to resuscitate’ order in place since July 2016 and had received assistance for respiratory issues with an oxygen concentrator.

On April 6, 2020, he collapsed before trying to walk back to his cell on the way back from collecting a new pair of glasses from a treatment room in HMP Shotts.

He was advised by a nurse to wait for a wheelchair to take him to his cell but continued to walk on, then slouched over against a wall and a ‘code blue’ alarm was raised and an ambulance called.

Nurses attempted to give him oxygen and CPR was not attempted and paramedics pronounced him dead just after 4pm that afternoon.

Source: Read Full Article