Dog left to roast for hours in ’30C heat after being locked inside plastic box’

A poor dog was left to roast inside a plastic box in scorching 30C heat for hours, police say.

Dogs are extremely vulnerable to heatstroke and can die suddenly if they become overheated.

The Rottweiler-type pooch was "trapped in scorching 30-degree heat for hours" having been "locked inside a plastic box", according to West Midlands Police.

After a welfare alert was raised officers rescued the animal, which is now being cared for properly by a vet, Birmingham Live reports.

Walsall Taskforce tweeted: “NTF officers visited an address in Walsall to the report of a dog locked in a plastic box for hours.

“Officers seized the animal locked inside the box in 30-degree heat.

“Dog safe with vets, owners WILL be prosecuted.”

This comes after it was reported yesterday that four other animals had to be rescued from abusive conditions in Wales.

Hope Rescue in Pontyclun, South Wales, was called upon to help with the ‘critical welfare situation’ after three dogs and one cat were found in a dangerous state.

  • Couple jailed after one of them shook baby so hard they caused his brain to bleed

The rescue team ended up spending a gruelling five hours across two days working their way through the worst of just one dog’s matted coat.

The 4-year-old Shih Tzu was flea-infested, has rotten teeth and is underweight, weighing about 5.6kgs.

His head was permanently tilted up to try and see past the overgrown hair growing on top, and his fur had clumped together in thick, unhygienic knots.

Transformation manager at Hope Rescue, Vanessa Waldron said: “It was quite hard to see what breed there was under all the matting.

“He is such a sweet dog. He didn’t grumble once while we were grooming him having gone through all that. He’s just a lovely little boy.

"We had to hack him quite a bit so he’s not really looking his best but the main thing is he’s comfortable.”

A Whippet crossbreed called Olive and a Welsh Hound called Harriet, as well as Sherlock the Shih Tzu and the cat thankfully recovered.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article