Chinese officials banned from Queen’s lying-in-state but could attend funeral

Parliamentary authorities have banned Chinese officials from viewing the Queen's coffin lying-in-state.

The heads of state from around the world who have travelled to London for Monday's (September 19) funeral have also been invited to pay their respects to the late monarch at Westminster Hall in Parliament.

China's President Xi Jinping was invited to the funeral but instead sent a delegation, headed by Vice-President Wang Qishan.

READ MORE: King Charles 'asked Harry to wear military uniform with William' for Queen's vigil

House of Commons Speaker Lindsay Hoyle has insisted that the Chinese group will not be allowed to enter Parliament to see the coffin.

This is because China has sanctioned British MPs who condemned the country's human rights abuses against Uighurs.

Zheng Zeguang, China's ambassador to the UK, has been barred from entering Parliament since 2021 following Beijing's sanctions.

MPs on the sanction lists, including former Conservative Party leader Iain Duncan Smith, have slammed the decision to even invite Chinese officials to the funeral.

Sir Iain, Tory MP Tim Loughton, crossbench peer Lord Alton and Labour's Baroness Kennedy sent a letter to Sir Lindsay earlier this week.

It read: "We are greatly concerned to hear that the Government of China has been invited to attend the state funeral next week, despite other countries Russia, Belarus and Myanmar being excluded.

"Given that the United Kingdom Parliament has voted to recognise the genocide committed by the Chinese Government against the Uighur people it is extraordinary that the architects of that genocide should be treated in any more favourable way than those countries who have been barred."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Vice-President Wang is set to attend the Westminster Abbey service on Monday. He is expected to arrive in London on Sunday, according to the South China Morning Post.

Downing Street has said that the invitations list for the Queen's funeral is down to Buckingham Palace.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman said: "It is for them to set out their guest list and, as is convention, those we have diplomatic relations with are invited in the main."

READ NEXT:

  • Queue tracker live: Exact location and wait times for Queen's lying-in-state line

  • South Africa demands return of 'world's largest diamond' from Queen's crown jewels

  • 'Asparagus psychic' who predicted Queen's death makes bombshell King Charles claim

  • New Kate Middleton photos spell 'disaster' for King Charles, royal expert claims

  • Inside 'The Queue' where mourners 'faint every 5 minutes' and treated 'like animals'

Source: Read Full Article