The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
The wreckage from the missing MH370 flight that disappeared seven years ago today could be found in particular areas of the bottom of the Indian Ocean, new research has claimed.
The night flight that disappeared on March 8, 2014, mysteriously changed its course and ran out of fuel.
Two searches failed to find any trace of the Boeing 777, or the 239 passengers and crew on board.
But 33 pieces of debris, confirmed or classed as highly likely to be from the MH370 flight, have been found in Madagascar, Mauritius, Tanzania and South Africa.
Peter Foley, who led the Australian government's multimillion-dollar hunt for the jet told The Times he agreed with new research suggesting the wreckage could be at the bottom of the Indian Ocean – 1,200 miles off Australia.
The flight, which was travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, reversed course and flew south before it disappeared.
A report released by an independent group of experts yesterday said damage from a wing spoiler indicated it had been torn off the aircraft during an uncontrolled high-speed dive.
The wing spoiler is the latest piece of wreckage discovered after it was found in South Africa last August.
It counters alternate theories of the plane being ditched by a rogue pilot.
Analysis of ocean drift and the flight path released last year, agree the aircraft most likely went down around 1,200 miles west of Cape Leeuwin in Western Australia.
It's an area notorious for its deep ocean floor canyons and underwater mountains.
Foley, who oversaw the world's largest high-resolution sonar search for the flight said the new inquiry should inspect the seafloor 70 nautical miles either side of the target area. The sonar mission covered nearly 50,000 square miles of the ocean floor at the time.
Meghan Markle bully probe could 'decimate' Oprah chat with team in 'shock mode'
“Large tracts haven’t been searched fully,” he said.
Blaine Gibson, who has devoted most of his life to the wreckage in recent years, supports the call for a fresh search.
The lawyer said the updated modelling by oceanographers made a strong case for another one.
Professor Pattiaratchi had predicted where debris would be a year before the first piece was found.
Get latest news headlines delivered free
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
The Malaysian government has said it would need compelling new evidence before mounting another search.
Investigative journalist Florence de Changy recently said the MH370 could have been shot down.
She suspects the plane continued on its course for another 80 minutes before disappearing north of Vietnam, over the official accounts that state it plummeted into the ocean.
- Plane Crash
Source: Read Full Article