Boy, 5, dies after eating wild mushroom just days after escaping Taliban

A five-year-old Afghan refugee in Poland has died after eating poisonous mushrooms and his brother, six, is in a critical condition officials said.

The doctor who was treating the boys said that the six-year-old had a liver transplant but the outlook for him is unfavourable as he has shown signs of severe brain damage.

Both boys were part of an Afghan family who were evacuated from Kabul by Polish authorities and taken to a refugee centre near Warsaw.

The boys' family picked the mushrooms from a forested area near the centre and made soup with them, according to Polish media.

For the latest breaking news stories and incredible tales from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

A 17-year-old Afghan girl from the same complex also fell ill after eating mushrooms, but she has since recovered.

"Unfortunately, we were unable to help both boys," the hospital's director, Dr Marek Migdal, said on Thursday, confirming the death of the five-year-old, who was unable to have a liver transplant because of irreversible brain damage.

Prosecutors have said the poisonings are under investigation while local officials have denied media reports that the refugees were picking the mushrooms and eating them because they didn't have enough food.

Jakub Dudziak, a spokesman for the Office for Foreigners, which is dealing with Afghan evacuees in Poland, said everyone is given "three meals a day," and that evacuees had also been instructed not to eat wild mushrooms.

More than 250 species of mushroom in Polish forests are poisonous, including some that are deadly, experts say.

The boys' family was part of more than 1,000 Afghans who had worked with Nato forces in the country who were evacuated by Polish forces.

Source: Read Full Article