Boy, 4, died when he ran into road as he was excited to get home for KFC

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

A four-year-old boy died when he slipped from his mum's hand and ran into the road in front of a car because he was "excited to get home for KFC".

The tragic accident happened when young Agarwin Sasikaran was at a pelican crossing with his mum and his six-year-old brother. As his mother Aklaya briefly let go of his hand to press the button, he darted into the road.

Aklaya broke her finger as she desperately tried to grab Agarwin before he was struck by the Vauxhall Astra, the inquest into his death was told.

The terrible incident happened at around 7pm on October 11, 2020, in Hayes, west London.

Poor Agarwin, a Sri Lankan boy, suffered "catastrophic injuries" around his head and torso and never recovered consciousness.

Stacy Woolmore, the driver of the Astra, was within the speed limit and reacted within one second of the boy shooting into the road by immediately swerving left in a bid to avoid the crash.

Police said the crash was "unavoidable" and the driver had "made no mistake".

Agarwin was treated at the scene by a passing off-duty GP. He was rushed to hospital, but medics couldn’t save him and he died early the next day.

The death of the young boy was said to have happened due to the "unpredictability of children".

The inquest at West London Coroner's Court concluded that Agarwin’s death was due to a severe traumatic brain injury caused by a road traffic collision.

Assistant coroner Ivor Collett said: "A young family was going out to enjoy KFC, a takeaway and that evening ended with this tragic outcome.

"Agarwin Sasikaran was a four-year-old boy holding his mother's hand crossing the road with his brother.

"The family had safely reached the central reservation and so were going to wait until they were allowed to cross the rest of the road.

"This was a pedestrian crossing governed by traffic lights. His mother pressed the button to call for the lights to change.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

"As she did that, Agarwin ran from her into the road. An oncoming car struck Agarwin before his mother could get hold of him even though she tried.

"Agarwin suffered very serious injuries and never recovered consciousness. He received highly specialist treatment both at the roadside and at the hospital.

"The injuries, particularly to his brain, were not such that could be survived.”

The coroner confirmed that the "driver had made no mistake".

Mr Collett added: "This terrible accident happened because children can sometimes behave unpredictably.

"Mrs Sasikaran will never be able to forget that terrible evening but I want her to know that it is absolutely clear that there is nothing she could have done to avoid what happened. Children do behave in these impulsive ways.

"I want to send this court's condolences to the family. I did not know their little boy, but it's clear that his parents loved him very much.”

  • Inquests

Source: Read Full Article