We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Simon Case, 41, is expected to be announced as the new cabinet secretary today after Sir Mark Sedwill quit the role due to reports of tensions between him and the Prime Minister’s team.
A Cabinet Office spokesperson said: “An official announcement on the new cabinet secretary will be made on Tuesday September 1.”
Mr Case, who is the former private secretary to the Duke of Cambridge, has been working as a civil servant since 2006.
He has been the private secretary to both David Cameron and Theresa May.
He moved to Number 10 this year to assist with the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Mr Case has also worked closely with Brexiteers during a stint at the Department for Exiting the European Union.
An ally told the Times: “There are two types of senior mandarins.
“There are the operators, the slight wheeler dealers, the fixers; and then there are the donnish, monkish types.”
It is believed Mr Case is regarded as more of the former.
Although Mr Case is backed by Brexiteers, Whitehall sources warn he will struggle to earn the respect of other older permanent secretaries.
His announcement comes two months after Sir Mark announced he was stepping down from the role.
In June, Sir Mark said it was the right time to go as the government moved forward with the next phase of the coronavirus recovery plan.
However, unlike Sir Mark, Mr Case will not hold the role of national security adviser, which was given to chief Brexit negotiator David Frost.
Simon Case ditches role with Duke to become UK’s top civil servant [REVEAL]
Sedwill speaks out about working with Boris and Cummings [COMMENT]
Boris Johnson to give £248,000 of taxpayer money to Mark Sedwill [INSIGHT]
There have been a number of senior civil servants announcing they are leaving their posts this year.
Jonathan Slater, the chief civil servant at the Department for Education, was sacked last month following the row over exam results across England.
Mr Slater was the fight permanent secretary to leave his post in just six months.
In July, Sir Richard Heaton resigned from his position at the Ministry of Justice (MoJ).
He said it was a “privilege” to lead at the MoJ despite the “challenging years”.
Sir Philip Rutnam stepped down as permanent secretary of the Home Office back in February.
Mr Rutman announced he would be taking Home Secretary Priti Patel to an employment tribunal.
In June, Sir Simon McDonald also stepped down from his position at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
He is believed to be stepping away from his role in September “at the request” of Mr Johnson.
Source: Read Full Article